Golf Today - Over 80000 pages of golf information
Golf News
 
MAY
14

 

1754 The first 'Challenge for the Silver Club' is played over the 22 holes of the links at St Andrews, marking the beginnings of the 'Society of St Andrew Golfers', which in 1836 would become the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, under the patronage of King William IV. The silver club was provided by twenty-two 'Noblemen and Gentlemen of Fife', and the winner was local merchant and town councillor William Landale who, under the rules, became Captain for the year. The rules also stipulated that he provide a silver ball to be attached to the club, a tradition which continues to the present day.

Select another day






Flash Sales!
30% off Golf Care Golf Insurance...

Stuart Barber Blog
All Change for 2015...... Or Where do we go from here?

What's in the Bag?
What the winners are playing on Tour worldwide.

© Golftoday.co.uk 1996-2017 - Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy - About Us - Advertise - Classifieds - Newsletter - Contact Us