Melbourne to host 2018 World Cup of Golf

Home > News > Melbourne to host 2018 World Cup of Golf
Posted on
May 8, 2018
by
Ben Brett in
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes

Melbourne will host the World Cup of Golf for the third consecutive time with the 59th edition of the event to be held at the Metropolitan Golf Club from Nov. 21-25, 2018, tournament organizers said on Tuesday.

The tournament features two-man teams from 28 nations and is one of the only competitions, outside the Olympics, where players can represent their countries on an international level.

The 2018 edition will allow the highest-ranked player from each country to pick their playing partner and follows the same format as the 2016 event with teams playing four rounds of 'best ball' and 'alternate shot'.

"The World Cup of Golf has been a celebrated and valued tradition in the game for decades," PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan said.

"The International Federation of PGA Tours is proud to see that tradition continue in 2018 with the best players from around the globe convening at The Metropolitan Golf Club."

"Golf in the Sandbelt region speaks for itself, and we appreciate The Metropolitan Golf Club opening its doors for this historic team event."

Australia has hosted the event on five previous occasions with Melbourne hosting the prestigious competition in 2013 and 2016.

Soren Kjeldsen and Thorbjorn Olesen sealed Denmark's maiden World Cup of Golf title in 2016 while Australia's Adam Scott and Jason Day triumphed at the Royal Melbourne Golf Club in 2013.

"It is a true thrill to bring this unique, global team-event back to Melbourne and the Sandbelt region," Executive Director of the Melbourne World Cup of Golf Robyn Cooper said.

"We appreciate the strong cooperation of all involved to ensure Australia's golf fans would be able to enjoy this spirited team competition in the Sandbelt region."

The 2019 Presidents Cup will also be hosted in Melbourne at the Royal Melbourne Golf Club.

About Ben Brett

Updated: ago Related content: ,

Join the discussion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read Next

Tiger Woods returned to golf after a life-threatening car crash.

On this day in 2021: Tiger Woods severely injured after car crash in California

Woods was recovering from back surgery and had been travelling alone at 7am local time when his SUV veered off the road at high speed.
Tiger Woods

Charlie Woods bid to qualify for Cognizant Classic comes up short

The 15-year-old took part Thursday’s pre-qualifier at Lost Lake Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida.
Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods’ son Charlie aiming to qualify for PGA Tour’s Cognizant Classic

The 15-year-old will compete in Thursday’s pre-qualifier at Lost Lake Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida.
magnifiercrossmenuchevron-downcross-circle
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram