Tiger Woods and his son, Charlie (11), will team up to take part in the PNC Championship in Orlando on Saturday.
Woods is playing for the first time and relishing watching his son enjoy playing the game.
“It is just so exciting to be part of something with my son and have an opportunity like this. I spent so much time with my dad and this is an opportunity for us to come together and enjoy ourselves and share a great moment like this.”
“It’s so much fun for me to see him enjoying the game– its just so cool for me to see him enjoying the sport, feeling the shots and hitting it as solidly as he is doing now.”
Also playing are Justin Thomas and his father and swing coach, Mike.
“Tiger and Charlie mentioned they were going to play and my dad’s exact quote was that ‘I’m not getting any younger’ so we figured, lets give it a try.
“I don’t know how I could put into words how cool Saturday is going to be. I don’t think you ever could have told me that scenario would have happened – to be playing in a father and son with my dad and with Tiger and Charlie. It’s going to be a really special day for all of us but for me, I’m so close to my dad and we have such a great relationship that obviously we both want to play well as we are both competitive but this is going to be a great memory for us.”
Full Field (20 teams)
|Mark Calcavecchia/Eric (son)||Matt Kuchar/Cameron (son)||Vijay Singh/Qass (son)|
|John Daly/Little John (son)||Bernhard Langer/Jackie (daughter)||Annika Sorenstam/Tom (father)|
|David Duval/Brady (son)||Tom Lehman/Sean (son)||Justin Thomas/Mike (father)|
|Jim Furyk/Tanner (son)||Greg Norman/Greg, Jr. (son)||Lee Trevino/Daniel (son)|
|Padraig Harrington/Paddy (son)||Mark O’Meara/Shaun (son)||Bubba Watson/Wayne (father-in-law)|
|Lee Janzen/Connor (son)||Gary Player/James (grandson)||Tiger Woods/Charlie (son)|
|Tom Kite/David (son)||Nick Price/Greg (son)|
Big Cat x Little Cat.— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) December 18, 2020
Inside the ropes with the father-son pairing. pic.twitter.com/YNQpctyDTm
• Charlie Woods at 11 years of age is the youngest player in the field while Gary Player. at the grand age of 85, is the oldest.
• Charlie Woods will be the youngest to compete in PNC Championship history (Previous: Stefan Langer (12/2002), Javier Ballesteros (12/2002) and Thomas Lehman (12/2007))
• Lee Trevino at 81 years of age is the only player to compete in every PNC Championship, dating to 1995 (22) He is still seeking his first PNC Championship title and is playing alongside his son Daniel this year
• Justin Thomas is the highest ranked player in the field ranked No.3 in the world. He is playing with his father Mike who has his mother, Janice, on the bag.
• Defending champion Bernhard Langer has won the tournament four times, twice with his son Jason. His daughter Jackie is replacing an injured Jason, marking her second appearance in the tournament alongside the two-time Masters winner
• Four players are making their debut this year; Mark Calcavecchia, Justin Thomas, Bubba Watson, Tiger Woods
• Annika Sorenstam is the only professional woman in the field. The ten-time Major winner is playing alongside her father Tom Sorenstam for the second time.
The PNC Championship is a two-person team event involving PGA Tour, PGA Tour Champions, LPGA Tour players and a family member playing scramble format. Both members of the team play a tee shot and the team then selects the best shot, where both players will play from for their next shot. This select shot procedure continues until the hole is completed.
Unwanted shots can be lifted and placed within one club length of the spot of the selected ball but, there are a few restrictions on where the players may place and play the ball, such as maintaining the same condition or part of the course as the selected ball, a ball in a bunker must be played from within the same bunker, a ball in a penalty area must be played from within the same penalty area and on the putting green, the ball must be played within one putter head length of the spot.
To qualify for the PNC Championship, players must have won a major championship or The Players Championship. Their partner must not hold a PGA Tour card.