The Hopps Open de Provence will return to the Road to Mallorca International Schedule in 2021, again taking place at Golf International de Pont Royal, Mallemort, from September 16-19.
The event, won by home favourite Romain Langasque in its maiden edition in 2018, followed by the Netherlands’ Lars van Meijel in 2019, was due to return to the schedule in 2020 but was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Seve Ballesteros-designed layout at Golf International de Pont Royal, which is the only course in France designed by the 50-time European Tour winner, opened in 1992 and is widely acclaimed for its slick greens and highland holes which offer stunning views of the Luberon and Alpilles mountain ranges.
The return of the Hopps Open de Provence further enhances French golf’s affiliation with the European Challenge Tour, having held a presence on the schedule for over 30 years and producing a long list of players who have gone on to shine on the European Tour.
Meanwhile, the Hauts de France – Pas de Calais Golf Open, which was scheduled to take place at Aa Saint Omer Golf Club from June 17-20 and was previously announced as part of last month’s 25 event strong schedule, will now not take place.
The return of the Hopps Open de Provence ensures there remains three French events on the Road to Mallorca in 2021 which underlines the commitment of the Fédération Française de Golf and the European Tour to golf in France following the return of the Open de France to the Race to Dubai, as announced last week.
Jamie Hodges, Head of Challenge Tour, said: “I am thrilled to now be able to confirm the return of the Hopps Open de Provence to our schedule in 2021.
“The Challenge Tour has a long and storied history of holding events in France and I must thank the Hopps Group, Golf International de Pont Royal and the Fédération Française de Golf for their commitment and help in bringing this tournament to fruition and for their ongoing support of our Tour.”
Official World Golf Ranking
Jérôme Laurédi, General Manager of Golf International de Pont Royal, said: “Despite difficult health conditions, Golf de Pont Royal is honoured to host the Hopps Open de Provence for the third time.
“Our teams will implement their know-how to ensure all aspects of the event are of the quality expected by Challenge Tour standards and to continue the success of previous editions.”
Julien Nazarian, President of Pro Sports Events, said: “We are proud to again be able to combine the efforts of the Hopps Group and Golf international de Pont Royal to confirm the third edition of the Hopps Open de Provence.
“I would like to thank the European Tour and Fédération Française de Golf for their continued support and we look forward to welcoming the players, public and sponsors to the Seve Ballesteros-designed course this summer.”
Eric Paumier, Co-President of the Hopps Group, said: “The success of Hopps Open de Provence is due to the strong partnership between the promoter, Julien Nazarian, Golf International de Pont Royal and the Hopps Group. “Every year, we work with passion and energy for the benefit of the Challenge Tour players and the fans, with the goal of organising the most beautiful event as possible.”